Friday, July 6, 2012

Kampong Cham

Sweet little girl along the river in Kampong Cham
Walking on the streets of Cambodia I am constantly asking myself one question..."Why on earth do I love this place so much?" Cambodia is poor, dirty, loud, corrupt, and I'm constantly praying over my food asking the Lord to keep me from getting sick. The only answer that I've come up with is that the Lord put a burden on my heart for the people of Cambodia and Vietnam. When I think about both places I don't think about the hardships and sad situations, I think about how genuine and kind these people are. I think about the children that I come across in the streets and how I can't walk away until I get at least one smile. I think about how my heart aches to let them know that they matter and are loved by the God of the UNIVERSE. I think about our tuktuk driver who pulled off the road on our long trip home and offered to buy us energy drinks because we looked so tired. Everyone that we've come across in Asia have genuinely cared for us. This morning our guesthouse staff not only brought us breakfast to our room, but brought a huge wooden table for us to eat it on. Everyone that I've met in Cambodia have gone above and beyond to make sure that we are cared for and comfortable. It doesn't matter where I am, the people in Cambodia make me feel like I'm at home.

"A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones."
Proverbs 15:30



A typical scene in the market.
So far our trip has been very relaxing and encouraging. After spending a few days with our dear friends, the Blaines, we traveled to a near by city called Kampong Cham. It was about a 4 hour bus ride from PP. I've always loved traveling by bus or train in foreign countries. It's a forced time to sit and be still. I spent all four hours listening to my music, in prayer, and watching the people as we drove deeper into the countryside. I love watching the people that live in the villages. I know their lives aren't easy. I know they have to work harder then most Americans, myself included, will ever be able to comprehend.  And what makes it so eye opening is that they aren't working hard to put money away into savings. They are working this hard to nearly survive, but there's something so simple and beautiful about village life. It's something that whenever I see I long for. I watched as women gathered together laughing and talking about life as they were making baskets; and their little ones would be running around half clothed swimming, playing with the water buffalo, and making up games with items they would find in nature. I watched as the children comforted each other when one would be upset or hurt. They are such a good example of what people in a community should live like. They all look out for each other, and share what possessions they have. They don't find their happiness in worldly items, but in relationships. It makes me long to learn their language, travel to their villages, develop relationships with them, and most importantly share the gospel with them.  I long for them to know the happiness that isn't of this world, but is an overwhelming Joy from the Lord! My heart aches to share the gospel with these beautiful people.

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners."
Isaiah 61:1

A small floating village in Kampong Cham where most of the Vietnamese population live.




When we arrived in Kampong Cham we met with a local pastor and his wife. After taking us into their home and serving us a home cooked meal, they took us to see their ministry. Their goal in Cambodia is to set up programs that empower, equip, and strengthen pastors. Their dream is to set up centers for pastors to come to for a short period of time, and to teach them the word, but then have them return to their home churches. This couple has a true heart for the Lord, and have offered assistance in anyway they can. They encouraged us to continue with the dream and vision that the Lord has given us. I think Amanda and I walked into this trip not knowing if people were going to take us seriously or not because we are so young, but we have seen the exact opposite happen. People have encouraged us more BECAUSE we are young.



Me "trying" to eat a tarantula. I was able to consume one leg :).
Kampong Cham was also a time of rest and fun for Amanda and I. Kampong Cham somewhat in the countryside, which being from TN, we both felt more at home. We stayed in a hotel that overlooked the river, did some zumba in the park with the locals, ate a few spiders, and had a nice long dinner where we were able to just enjoy each others friendship and talk about life's struggles and joys.


No comments:

Post a Comment